Since January of 2019, we have not allowed the use of non-approved embed tags (<embed>, <script>, <iframe>, etc.) within any new WiscWeb projects. This was a change made to secure the overall WordPress multisite and align more closely with WordPress standards for security.
Sites built before January of 2019 had been grandfathered in and allowed to keep this function, with the understanding that it would be phased out in time.
We have worked hard over the past few years to build embed options into the service for the most broadly used/needed tools. We are now going to begin phasing out the embedded code abilities from sites built before January 2019.
Who is affected?
We have about 800+ sites that currently have this ability. The complete list of affected domains is listed in the KnowledgeBase. Most of these groups will not be affected as they were not using embed code on their sites, or were only using approved embed options.
If your site is not in this list, you’re already complying and will not experience any change.
What is happening?
On January 12, 2023, we will be removing the option to use embed code from tools that are not on our approved list. This includes, but is not limited to, the following HTML tags:
- <span> (<span> tags with the ‘style’ attribute will still work)
- <style> (style attributes will still work – like with the <span> tag, but <style> tags will not work on their own)
After this change takes effect, any embed options built with these tags that are not otherwise accommodated as part of the service offering will break.
When will this change take effect?
We plan to decommission this offering starting in January 12, 2023.
What is required of me?
- If you are affected by this change, please review your website and determine if you may be using one of the embed tags listed above.
- Update: you may now request an embed code scan of your site using our Customer Support Form. Choose the option for ’embed code scan’ in the list of radio buttons.
- If so, check and see if there is an approved embed option for that tool. Follow the related KnowledgeBase instructions for how to appropriately embed it. Update the embed as needed.
- If your embed option is not in the list, ask yourself if it is mission critical technology. If so, schedule a consultation with a WiscWeb team member using the Office Hours scheduling option.
What can I do if I have questions?
Please re-check this post periodically for updates related to this change.